- Requirements for digital nomads applying for a visa to Uruguay
- Cost of obtaining an Uruguayan visa for digital nomads
- How to obtain a digital nomad visa to Uruguay online and offline: pro tips and tricks
- Applying for an Uruguayan digital nomad visa online in 4 steps
- Offline application for a digital nomad visa to Uruguay: where to apply
- Extending a digital nomad visa to Uruguay
- Why choose Uruguay: advantages for digital nomads
- Expert assistance with digital nomad visas to Uruguay
When it comes to remote work, Uruguay may not be the first destination that springs to mind. Nonetheless, a new digital nomad visa introduced by the authorities of this often overlooked country may appear as a top choice for many digital nomads. The rationale is rather simple. The procedure and requirements for obtaining the Hoja de Identidad Provisoria Nómada Digital are remarkably straightforward. Notably, it comes with no requirements for minimum income. The entire application process takes place online, and IT professionals can take advantage of tax incentives. At the end of the day, Uruguay is well-prepared to hold appeal for digital nomads and secure a prominent place on their preferred destination list.
In Uruguay, they have a visa specifically designed for digital nomads. Commonly referred to as the Digital Nomad Visa or Hoja de Identidad Provisoria Nómada Digital in Spanish, this visa serves as an official travel authorization document for foreigners with remote work prospects. It offers the opportunity to legally live and work in Uruguay for 6 months. If desired, the visa can be extended for an additional 6 months, providing flexibility for digital nomads in planning their stay in the country.
Following the enactment of Decree N° 238/022 on July 28, 2022, which incorporated amendments and modifications to the immigration laws, the Uruguayan Digital Nomad Visa was introduced. Here are the individuals that this visa is designed to cater to:
- remote employees affiliated with companies outside of Uruguay
- self-employed freelancers who provide services to individuals and businesses located beyond Uruguay’s borders.
- owners of international companies seeking to work and reside in Uruguay as digital nomads.
Requirements for digital nomads applying for a visa to Uruguay
Special visa programs for digital nomads have specific requirements. The Uruguayan program is known for a particularly low entry threshold. Below, you will find the minimum requirements you shall meet if you wish to qualify for the digital nomad visa to Uruguay:
- Valid passport: The above valid document is an absolute must for those applying for a digital nomad visa to Uruguay.
- Remote work: No matter who you are – a business owner whose profits come from businesses and customers outside of Uruguay, a freelancer, or simply an employee, your engagement in remote work is a must.
- Clean criminal record: If you are about to extend your initial digital nomad visa for an additional 6 months, be prepared to provide evidence of your clean criminal record.
- Adequate income to support yourself in Uruguay: As a digital nomad, you shall make a sworn statement that your remote work generates income sufficient to support yourself during your stay in Uruguay.
Based on the requirements stated above, are you eligible? If the answer is yes, your application for the digital nomad visa to Uruguay will most likely be approved automatically within a short time. Approved applicants are required to adhere to all laws and regulations of Uruguay. In the future, they may even transition from the Hoja de Identidad Provisoria Nómada Digital to a full Residence Visa to Uruguay. FYI: With all its positives, the above digital nomad visa to Uruguay does not offer the option to include family members in your visa application.
Cost of obtaining an Uruguayan visa for digital nomads
It will cost you approximately UYU 400 (Uruguayan pesos) to obtain a digital nomad visa to Uruguay, equivalent to around EUR 9 or USD 10. However, you can’t make the payment from a foreign bank account. Unfortunately, it is physically impossible to pay the fee without a credit or debit card issued by a bank in Uruguay. As a result, while it is technically possible for a digital nomad to submit the visa application before arriving in Uruguay, it is more practical and convenient to wait until the trip to initiate the process. You are highly recommended to open a bank account in Uruguay in advance to facilitate the payment.
A few alternative methods exist to obtain the visa remotely. One option is to seek assistance from a friend who is already in Uruguay and has a local bank account. Additionally, Internet services are available for bill payments in Uruguay.
Regardless of the chosen approach, you shall pay the administrative fees within 24 hours after applying for the Uruguayan digital nomad visa. Once the registration fee is paid and the application is approved, you will receive the residency permit via email. The initial visa will grant you a stay in Uruguay for 180 days.
The qualification requirements for the digital nomad visa to Uruguay are highly permissive at the moment. The costs associated with the application procedures are remarkably low. However, experts speculate that these requirements may potentially become more stringent soon. Therefore, digital nomads should step on the gas with their application submissions. Stay informed about the latest updates on the digital nomad visa to Uruguay and other visas for digital nomads by subscribing to the International Wealth newsletter!
How to obtain a digital nomad visa to Uruguay online and offline: pro tips and tricks
Should you decide to obtain a temporary identification card as a digital nomad in Uruguay, be advised that the procedure deviates slightly from similar ones in other countries. However, it is still streamlined and transparent. The same applies to the registration of a company in Uruguay. Assisted by the International Wealth expert team, you will manage to do it in no time, and the formalities adhere to the same straightforward approach. For more information on the subject, you are welcome to contact the International Wealth consultants.
In essence, applicants are only required to provide their personal information and submit an affidavit confirming they generate sufficient income, without the need for specific income details. Unlike many other countries that offer digital nomad visas, Uruguay does not impose stringent requirements for income verification within predefined limits.
You may either conveniently complete the required procedures online or through traditional offline channels. Let us first delve into the online process, which offers ease and accessibility. Subsequently, we will provide you with the addresses of immigration service offices. There, you can submit an offline application for the digital nomad visa to Uruguay.
Applying for an Uruguayan digital nomad visa online in 4 steps
When you opt to apply online, you may enter Uruguay on a tourist visa or take advantage of the visa-free regime to complete the payment or address the administrative fee using one of the alternative methods mentioned previously.
- Step 1: Creating a digital ID. Before you submit your digital nomad visa application in Uruguay, you shall get an official digital identification card. You can do it on the website gub.uy/tramites/hoja-identidad-provisoria by clicking on the Iniciar trámite en línea (start online process) button. NB: the interface is not localized. Thus, it is available in Spanish only. To overcome the hurdle, use the automatic translation feature your browser offers. Personal details such as name, surname, and other passport information are required to create the digital ID. Once the process is completed, an email confirmation, along with the digital identification card, will be sent to the provided email address. Alternative electronic identification means, such as Antel TuID or the Abitab Mobile client identifier, are also acceptable.
- Step 2: Applying. After you obtain the digital identification card, be sure to revisit the website and click on the start online process button again. Enter the newly received ID and authenticate yourself using the password generated previously to verify your identity. Go on and proceed with filling out the application for the digital nomad visa to Uruguay. When prompted for your home address, indicate the address where you plan to reside in Uruguay. Update this information in case of any changes in your address. At a later stage, the system will request information regarding the intended duration of your stay in Uruguay. The maximum number of days a digital nomad may specify is 180. This aligns with the validity period of the initial digital nomad visa to Uruguay. In the subsequent steps, you will upload a digital copy of your passport, as well as download and sign an affidavit (sworn statement). The latter shall confirm your remote employment and sufficient income to sustain yourself while living in Uruguay. Attach the signed affidavit to your application. Once the visa application is submitted, a confirmation email will be sent to you.
- Step 3: Visa fee payment and visa issuance: You shall pay the associated visa fees. For the above purpose, use the available payment options. When done, expect your digital nomad visa to Uruguay to be issued to you. A successful applicant will receive the electronic digital nomad visa to Uruguay within 10 days of the fee payment date.
Offline application for a digital nomad visa to Uruguay: where to apply
If you plan to personally submit your application for a digital nomad visa to Uruguay, visit one of the offices mentioned below. Be sure to bring along your application form and all the required supporting documents:
|City||Local address (in Spanish)||Office hours||Phone|
|Montevideo||Misiones 1513||Monday to Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.|
|Artigas, Artigas Department||Av. Lecueder 169||8:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.||4772 4041|
|Bella Union, Artigas Department||Romeo Bianchi esq. Bulevar. Artigas||8:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.||47792835 – 2030 1910|
|Aseguá, Cerro Largo Department||Ruta 8 km. 460||8:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.||46409156|
|Melo, Cerro Largo Department||Rodó 661||9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.||46422437 – 2030 1912|
|Río Branco, Cerro Largo Department||Paso de Frontera||9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.||46752638, 2030 1922-1923|
|Carmelo, Colonia Department||Roosevelt 338 bis||45422461|
|Colonia del Sacramento, Colonia Department||18 de julio 428||9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.||45223271|
|Nueva Palmira, Colonia Department||Darsena Higueritas S/N||9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.||45446553, 2030-1934 /1935|
|Durazno, Durazno Department||Rivera 621||9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.||2030 8018|
|Maldonado, Maldonado Department||Ventura Alegre 727||9:15 a.m. – 2:15 p.m.||42237624 – 20:30 1906/1907|
|Piriápolis, Maldonado Department||Continuación Piria S/N (cabaña en recinto prontuario)||9:15 a.m. – 2:15 p.m.||44320555|
|Paysandú, Paysandú Department||Independencia 940||47224997|
|Fray Bentos, Río Negro Department||Zorrilla 1301||45622302|
|Rivera, Rivera Department||J. Suárez 516||46224086|
|Chuy, Rocha Department||Ruta 9 Km 336||9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.||44742072, 2030 1858-1859|
|Mercedes, Soriano Department||18 de Julio y Roosevelt||45322528|
Extending a digital nomad visa to Uruguay
Is it possible to extend your stay in Uruguay beyond 6 months on a digital nomad visa? No doubt about it. You have the opportunity to prolong your stay for a similar duration, i.e., up to 1 year. However, to proceed with the extension, be ready to submit certain additional documents to local authorities. These include a certificate proving your clean criminal record and a vaccination certificate issued in Uruguay. Here is a comprehensive list of the supporting documents required to extend your temporary digital nomad identity card:
- A valid digital nomad identity card issued in Uruguay.
- An affidavit to prove an adequate income source without specifying the details.
- Officially legalized or apostilled certificates of no criminal record, accompanied by translations (if necessary) for non-Spanish-speaking countries where you have resided for 6 months or longer within the past 5 years. Please note that this requirement applies to individuals aged 18 and above, except for certificates from Brazil, which do not require translation.
- A vaccination certificate issued by an authorized healthcare provider in Uruguay to confirm compliance with the country’s vaccination protocols (under Decree No. 136/018).
Why choose Uruguay: advantages for digital nomads
When it comes to geography, many International Wealth readers recall Uruguay’s position along the South Atlantic coast, sandwiched between its more famous counterparts, Brazil and Argentina. However, Uruguay has its own distinct identity and plenty of valuable perks to offer, particularly for digital nomads. Let’s explore the main advantages of relocating to Uruguay as a digital nomad:
- Flexible visa procedures: One of the major draws of Uruguay is how easy it is to obtain a special visa. The digital nomad visa process in Uruguay is known for its simplicity, both in terms of application procedures and requirements. Unlike many other countries, there are no rigid income criteria. It makes Uruguay accessible to freelancers and individuals whose work may not conform to conventional standards. While family members may not be included in the same application, most foreigners are eligible for a digital nomad visa to Uruguay. All they have to do is submit separate applications.
- Freedom: Visitors often rave about the level of personal freedom in Uruguay compared to other Latin American countries and beyond. The nation takes pride in its strong democratic values, anti-corruption efforts, and freedom of the press. Coupled with the warm and friendly nature of the locals, this creates an environment where digital nomads feel at home and enjoy their freedom to the fullest.
- Climate: The summer months, spanning from November to April in the Southern Hemisphere, are the best time to visit Uruguay when the weather is warmer and more favorable for outdoor activities. However, Uruguay offers a comfortable living environment throughout the year, sparing digital nomads from extreme temperature fluctuations. Certain regions may experience flooding, so keeping track of weather forecasts and heeding local authorities’ advice during natural disasters is recommended.
- Cost of living and quality of life: While Uruguay may not be the most budget-friendly option for digital nomads, it comes with high living standards that justify the relatively higher costs. Online sources may sometimes give a different impression, as the actual expenses of daily life tend to be higher than what search engine results suggest. Nonetheless, Uruguay’s reputation as the Switzerland of Latin America is well-deserved. Its real estate market remains affordable compared to regional standards. To get a better understanding of the local housing market, you are welcome to explore property listings compiled by the International Wealth team together with trusted local partners.
- Safety: Uruguay stands out as an exceptionally safe destination. It is an ideal starting point to explore the vast landscapes of Latin America. With its strong economic and political stability, Uruguay offers a sense of security that sets it apart from other crime-ridden countries in South America. With its standardized fare systems, the transportation, including taxis, is reliable and secure. While the overall crime rate is low, you should exercise caution against petty theft, especially in tourist areas and crowded places. Relative to its population, Uruguay contributes a higher percentage of military personnel to United Nations peacekeeping missions. This highlights the country’s commitment to global security.
- Convenient time zone and infrastructure: Uruguay operates in the GMT-3 time zone, making it a favorable choice for digital nomads with clients in both Western Europe and the eastern coast of the US and Canada. The government of Uruguay actively invests in developing the necessary infrastructure to support digital nomads. This includes the availability of coworking spaces and access to government resources to foster networking opportunities.
- Thriving digital nomad community: The thriving digital nomad community in Uruguay is drawn to its low cost of living, delightful cuisine, exceptional wines, stunning beaches, and reliable Wi-Fi. Despite its small population, Uruguay provides a welcoming environment for digital nomads, even in bustling cities like Montevideo. The recent introduction of the new visa has further facilitated the integration of digital nomads into the local community.
- Language and culture: Uruguay’s name, derived from the Guarani language, translates to the River of Colorful Birds. Although Spanish is the official language, Uruguay’s culture boasts its unique charm, influenced by European and Spanish heritage.
- Harmony of urban and natural environments: Despite its small size, Uruguay strikes a harmonious balance between urban living and untouched natural beauty. With nearly half of its population residing in the cosmopolitan city of Montevideo, which offers abundant business opportunities and a vibrant social scene, digital nomads can enjoy the conveniences of city life. Additionally, Uruguay’s breathtaking coastal areas along the South Atlantic provide tranquil and sunny locations for those seeking a peaceful work environment by the ocean.
- Residency to citizenship: Uruguay offers an appealing pathway to citizenship for long-term residents. Foreign individuals can obtain citizenship and an Uruguayan passport by meeting relatively liberal requirements. The latter include living in the country for 3 years (if married to an Uruguayan citizen) or 5 years in other cases.
- Tax advantages: In terms of taxes, Uruguay not only exempts its fiscal residents from personal income tax (PIT) on income from foreign sources but also considers tax incentives to attract skilled IT professionals. A proposed bill aims to subject IT specialists immigrating to Uruguay to a fixed rate of 12% Non-Resident Income Tax (NRIT), rather than the progressive rates of the Personal Income Tax (PIT), which range from 0% to 36%. Eligibility criteria for this scheme include relocation under a labor agreement with companies operating in Uruguay, foreign citizenship or Uruguayan citizenship with foreign residency within the past 5 years, working in Uruguay for at least two-thirds of the calendar year, and opting out of the Uruguayan social security system.
Expert assistance with digital nomad visas to Uruguay
Discover the allure of a digital nomad visa to Uruguay, an attractive choice for digital nomads seeking to immerse themselves in the culture of a relatively exotic South American country. Uruguay boasts a low cost of living, a progressive immigration policy, and a host of other benefits.
NB: The simplicity of the application process for Uruguay’s digital nomad visa is attributed to its recent launch. While there are currently no income requirements, these and other regulations may become more stringent soon. Therefore, act promptly and submit your application without delay.
Even with detailed step-by-step instructions, navigating the digital nomad visa application procedures can still be complex and laborious. That’s where the International Wealth pro team comes in to streamline the process. With us, you will smoothly obtain a digital nomad visa to Uruguay or any other country where such opportunities exist under local immigration laws.
We collaborate with trusted partners who specialize in immigration and related services. The latter range from finding and renting or buying accommodation to opening foreign bank accounts and addressing your tax concerns. Consult International Wealth experts today to take the crucial first step toward making your aspirations a reality!
Without further delay, don’t hesitate to reach out to the International Wealth team of experienced professionals. Simply fill out the feedback form on the right, call one of the listed phone numbers, or send an email to our corporate address to request a free introductory consultation. Rest assured, this valuable session indeed comes at no charge. Stay up-to-date with the latest news and updates regarding digital nomads and relocation issues by subscribing to the International Wealth newsletter and following our social media pages. Join the International Wealth online community and never miss a beat!
When it comes to a new digital nomad visa like this, International Wealth readers often have multiple questions and uncertainties. To cater to the curiosity and interests of our audience, we have included a FAQ section in this article. It is specifically designed to provide answers to the most popular questions.
What is the duration of the digital nomad visa to Uruguay?
Valid for 6 months initially, the digital nomad visa to Uruguay can be extended for an additional 6 months upon request.
May my family members accompany me on the digital nomad visa to Uruguay?
Unfortunately, the digital nomad visa to Uruguay does not allow for the inclusion of family members. Each individual intending to relocate as a digital nomad shall submit a separate visa application.
Are there specific income requirements to obtain the digital nomad visa to Uruguay?
No, there are no specific income requirements for the digital nomad visa to Uruguay. Applicants are not obliged to meet a minimum income threshold. However, applicants are recommended to demonstrate financial stability and the ability to support themselves during their stay in Uruguay.
Is it possible to renew the digital nomad visa to Uruguay?
It is. You may renew the digital nomad visa to Uruguay for an additional 6 months. To apply for the renewal, certain documents are required, including clean criminal record certificates from countries where the applicant has resided for more than 6 months within the past 5 years. Additionally, an Uruguayan certificate confirming compliance with vaccination requirements is necessary.
Am I obliged to pay taxes in Uruguay for my remote work?
In general, yes, if you become a fiscal resident in Uruguay by spending a significant portion of the year there. However, Uruguay does not impose taxes on residents for income earned outside the country. Therefore, digital nomads who earn their income remotely from companies or clients outside of Uruguay are effectively exempt from paying income tax to the Uruguayan authorities, even if they become fiscal residents.
What makes relocating to Uruguay on a digital nomad visa appealing?
While not commonly considered by many digital nomads, relocating to Uruguay offers numerous advantages. The availability of coworking spaces and cafes with free Wi-Fi is growing across various urban areas. Uruguay boasts a relatively low cost of living, considering the quality of goods and services available. Due to this, it is an appealing destination for budget-conscious digital nomads and relocators with limited financial resources. Additionally, favorable tax rates and a flexible visa policy are great to enjoy the country’s natural beauty, diverse culture, and vibrant nightlife. From stunning beaches to lively cities, Uruguay has something to offer to every digital nomad.
Am I eligible for permanent residency in Uruguay with a digital nomad visa?
Absolutely. A digital nomad visa to Uruguay may lead to permanent residency in the future. Under the current immigration legislation, foreign individuals who legally reside in Uruguay for a minimum of 2 years, spending at least 6 months per year and becoming tax residents in the country, are eligible to apply for permanent residency.