When applying for Turkish citizenship by investment into real estate, you have to supply quite a number of supporting documents. Please read on to find out what documents need to be supplied and what stages of the application process you have to go through in order to acquire the Turkish passport.
Applicants to the Turkish citizenship-by-investment program have a choice of six routes each of which will lead to the goal. The most inexpensive of them and, therefore, the most popular one is purchasing a piece of real property in Turkey that is worth at least US$ 250,000. The property has to remain in the investor’s possession for three years and after this period expires, the property can be resold while the Turkish citizen’s status will be retained.
The process of acquiring Turkish citizenship by investment is comparatively fast. On average, it takes about three months to obtain the passport of the country. It is important to realize, however, that the application process can be fast only if you prepare all the supporting documents in advance.
Documents required for obtaining Turkish citizenship by investment into real estate
The main applicant for Turkish citizenship has to submit the following documents:
- The application form filled out in Latin letters without any errors nor corrections. The candidate for Turkish citizenship has to complete the form him-/ herself or he/ she can trust an agent to complete it.
- The passport or another similar identification document. If the passport has to be translated, the translation has to be notarized. Passports of all applicant members are required if a family application for Turkish citizenship is submitted.
- If the main applicant is divorced, his/ her former spouse is not eligible to be included in the family application for Turkish citizenship. Children of a divorced applicant are eligible for Turkish citizenship. However, the second parent’s consent needs to be obtained in this case.
- Marriage certificate if a family is applying for Turkish citizenship.
- Birth certificates or other documents that certify the relationships of kin between family members.
- Two passport-size photographs.
- Completed ‘investor’s residence certificate’ (a special certificate that is issued to foreign investors applying for Turkish citizenship).
If children below 18 years of age are included in a family application for Turkish citizenship, the following documents have to be supplied:
- Children’s birth certificates.
- Notarized passport copies (if available).
- Two passport-size photographs.
All the application documents have to be written in the Turkish language. If they are in another language, they have to be accompanied by translations into Turkish and the translations need to be notarized.
Requirements to candidates for Turkish citizenship
The Turkish citizenship-by-investment program is accessible to citizens of all countries of the world (at least, this is how things stand for now). The main requirements to the candidate for Turkish citizenship by investment into real estate in the country include the following ones:
- The main applicant shall be over 18 years of age.
- The main applicant’s spouse and children below 18 years of age can be included in a family application for Turkish citizenship by investment.
- If the applicant for Turkish citizenship has entered Turkey illegally or has resided in the country illegally, the application will be rejected.
- No applicant for Turkish citizenship shall have a criminal history neither in Turkey nor in any other country where he or she has resided over the last twelve months.
- The candidate for Turkish citizenship shall have sufficient financial resources to make the investment in the required amount and to cover all the expenses accompanying citizenship acquisition.
The stages in the process of applying for Turkish citizenship by investment into real estate
The process of acquiring Turkish citizenship by investment into real estate can be divided into the following four stages:
Stage 1 — Sign an agreement with a licensed immigration agent
First of all, you have to apply for our assistance in the process of acquiring Turkish citizenship by investment. It involves some procedural elements that can cause problems and we will help you overcome those.
Stage 2 — Make an investment into real estate in Turkey
The next step is making the required investment into real estate. Unlike some other citizenship-by-investment programs, the Turkish program requires that the investment be made prior to filing the application for citizenship. This means that you have to buy residential accommodations or another piece of real property in Turkey before you can apply for citizenship of the country. We will be happy to help you find the most suitable piece of real property that is worth not less than US$ 250,000 as such is the prerequisite of the Turkish citizenship-by-investment program.
When you buy property in Turkey, you will have to obtain an official assessment of its cost. The assessor must confirm that the property that you have purchased is worth US$ 250,000 or more indeed at the dollar-to-lira exchange rate effective on the day of assessment.
It is recommended that you should make a bank transfer when paying for the property that you buy in Turkey. When the purchase deal is completed, the immigration agent will file an application for Turkish citizenship on your behalf. He or she will have to submit to the authorities the bank slip, the property ownership certificate, and the assessment act. In addition to that, you have to declare your intention to keep the property in your possession for at least three years (in writing).
The Turkish Land Cadaster will also have to make its own assessment of your property in Turkey, issue a conformity certificate, and deliver it to the immigration authorities of the country. Only after this moment, your application for Turkish citizenship will start to be processed.
Stage 3 — Acquire a residence permit
When you file an application for Turkish citizenship, you will have to obtain a special residence permit issued to foreign investors in Turkey. This does not mean that you have to reside in Turkey but you have to hold the permit.
You have to visit Turkey though if you wish to apply for citizenship of the country by investment. You can do it on a tourist visa and citizens of some countries enjoy visa-free access to Turkey. Please make sure you bring a medical insurance policy and some money to pay the state duties (application fee, due diligence fee, and so on).
Stage 4 — Acquire the passport of Turkey
Your application for Turkish citizenship is going to be processed within three months normally. Sometimes the processing can be extended for up to six months.
The local immigration authorities will have to ascertain that you are the person that you claim you are and that you have no criminal history. All countries that run citizenship-by-investment programs conduct due diligence checks so this should not take you by surprise.
If you have invested a sufficient amount of money into Turkish real property and if the supporting documents for all applicant family members are in good order, after a few months, they all are going to become citizens of Turkey. If you fulfill the condition of keeping the property in your possession for three years, you will be able to retain Turkish citizenship for life.
Professional assistance in acquiring Turkish citizenship by investment into real estate
Why should you apply for professional assistance of InternationalWealth portal experts when obtaining Turkish citizenship? Because it is a rather complex citizenship-by-investment program that is administered by several Government bodies.
The portal team knows exactly how the program works and what should be done at every stage of the application process. Our professional experience will help make the procedure of Turkish citizenship acquisition smooth and easy for you.
Please contact us by email, telephone or live chat and request a personal consultation on acquiring Turkish citizenship. We will not charge you anything for this consultation.
What is the best way of acquiring Turkish citizenship?
There are several paths leading to Turkish citizenship and it is hard to say which the best one is. The most affordable option, however, is investing into residential accommodations or some other type of property that is worth not less than US$ 250,000. You can buy any real property in Turkey that you like. After three years, you can sell it back while keeping the Turkish passport.
Can I include the members of my family into the application for Turkish citizenship?
Yes, you can. You can include your spouse and your dependent children under 18 into the application for Turkish citizenship. If you have children above this age but they are financially dependent on you anyway, you can include them in the application as well.
Do my family memberы have to apply for temporary residence permits when I file a family application for Turkish citizenship?
No, they do not. Only the main applicant has to obtain the residence permit.